Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Another Day, Another Card

I like "Another Day, Another Card" for the title of these posts. Simple, to the point and accurate... anyways, here's another card from my "keeper" collection. This one is from 2007 UD Masterpieces and I believe is one of the SP autos.

I know there is a lot of vitriol towards Roger these days. However I still live in a world where you are innocent until proven guilty and the only place he's been convicted of anything is in the court of public opinion. I'm not naive, there are certainly some shady dealings going on with the Clemens camp but I'm a fan of Roger and I think he was an amazing baseball player. His name is Mudd right now, but in time I think he'll take his rightful place in the Hall of Fame as one of the best pitchers ever. I remember when he and Andy Pettitte signed with the Astros in 2004. I immediately bought tickets to all three games of the opening series against the Giants to watch those two and Roy Oswalt pitch. It was awesome to see Roger get Barry Bonds to strikeout looking. Regardless of how he's perceived now, he and Andy had a lot to do with the Astros making two straight NLCS and our first (and only) World Series appearance. As for the card, I love the Masterpieces "Stroke of Genius" autographs, even if UD can't spell Masterpieces correctly. I think Roger may have rushed this signature a bit, but it's still an awesome card for my collection (even if he is in a Yankee uniform). Haha!

Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I don't dislike Clemens for what he may or may not have taken, I don't dislike Clemens for bad-mouthing the Red Sox after they let him go because they are completely deserving for how they treated him, I dislike Clemens for the person he became after joining the Yankees. It wasn't just the chucking of bat barrels, but his whole personality changed in New York and he became a prime example of the type of Yankee that so many have grown to dislike.

    I was going to comment on the auto as well. I know that he changed his auto over the years, but couldn't tell if that one looked different because of the space given to sign, the texture of the card or something else. I was lucky enough to get his signature in person, for free, back in the 80s and he couldn't have been a nicer guy and he had a beautiful signature. Oh how times changed.

    ReplyDelete