Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

More Mail! And "State of the Blog" news...

Well, got a couple more packages in the mail yesterday... first up ALTUVE!!!!
The green border parallels are my favorite in the 2013 GQ set, numbered /99, the green just looks great. Crazy to think I have the red magenta printing plate that helped make this card! That being said, this is the only Jose Altuve Mini I have from 2013, so please trade me some if you have any other variations!

Next up, Nolan Ryan...
Wow, I saw this on eBay a bit over priced, I offered what I thought was fair and the dealer accepted without counter offers! Love it when that happens. The way it should be, both sides get what they feel is a fair deal for a card and both walk away happy.

Ok, so I ran my mouth (fingers) on twitter the other day about my frustrations with the hobby... well, it's all very true. I'm tired and frustrated with Topps; their offerings, their attitude and their monopoly. I'm out of "buyer" mode. No more running to the card shop and picking up multiple hobby boxes at Trade Night. Last month, I spent $50 total on various packs and specific cards and left a lot less frustrated.

I am moving my money into COMC, eBay and maybe a couple of other sites. I'm focusing my money on my collection and not participating in the Topps Lottery that favors the deep pocketed business man who doesn't care about the card, only that it makes him money. I want to finish the 2011 Gypsy Queen Autograph set, and that's going to take some serious funding. If I see another product like 2011 GQ, I want to save for a few months and buy a case for myself and try and do a master set again. I have things I want that can't be accomplished by wasting money and time on random crap.

What does this mean? Well, the blog is probably going to get neglected. Posts will be fewer and further between. My job and life these days doesn't leave me a lot of time to blog, so if I can't get it posted in 10-15 minutes while my wife gets ready for work, then it's probably not going to get posted that day. My group breaks are another loss. I've gotten a TON of positive feedback from participants who wish I wasn't doing away with them. But a few months ago, it became "work" to me. It wasn't fun anymore. I just can't keep up the pace with everything else going on in life. (Those of you with kids, I don't know how you do it, I certainly wouldn't be able to...).

I will do my best to keep my trade bait folders up-to-date and my Keepers file with all my Astros stuff as well. I will respond as quickly as I can to inquiries and trade requests. I want to stay active in trades and random send-outs to you guys. But also don't be upset if it takes me a couple weeks to get around to posting the trade loot. As much as I've been tempted to just hang it up, quit collecting again and find other avenues for my time, I enjoy the camaraderie of the blogging community too great to walk away from. I think I've drained the market of great Astros cards, but hopefully it's replenished at some point (I'm starring you dead in the eye Topps: make some freakin' Astros cards already!).

Alright, talk at you later Dimwit Brigade.

6 comments:

  1. oh, you haven't drained the secondary market, my good Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picked up three 'Stros hits today at The Show. Wish I could have found stuff for other bloggers, but every other team was cleaned out. Not many Astros fans up this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you'll still be around, good sir!
    Hopefully Topps spreads the love back to Houston soon, it really is getting ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved my money to eBay & COMC years ago and have zero regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I can tell, this is a good move, Sam. Though, I'll be one of those tugging at you to maintain your presence here in the blogosphere. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear alot of what you're saying. I think we all get in funks sometimes, and re-focusing on what you really want is usually a good thing.

    I'm kind of getting to a similar boat, though it's not really frustration with Topps on my end - more on the side of "life is getting too busy".

    Hope you stay around, I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete