Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

I Caught A Wicked Case of Spring Fever

Ok, so I went to the LCS today... upon driving 3/4 of the way to work this morning, I got a call that the storm in the area knocked out power to our trailer completely, so no work... I grabbed my Spring Fever redemption cards, 7 in total. I ended up with 25 cards towards the complete set... no auto's... so I decided to scan in the duplicates in hopes of stirring up the trade waters if anyone else was collecting the set...
I really like the cards, they are nice looking and fun. I've got the Carlos Pena Astros card on the way from Crackin' Wax (thanks a lot Topps for putting loser Carlos Pena in the set... TOPPS you suck, I mean that in the meanest possible way it could be taken, I'm tired of the Astros being treated like crap and used as a sticker dump in TWO SETS for a guy who has played exactly zero games for us and who isn't guaranteed a spot on the roster coming out of Spring Training... ok, rant over).

Or is it... I got into a brief exchange on Twitter with @ToppsCards after I said that it was apparent the Astros weren't important to Topps, and they said me saying that was unfair. Is it??? Is it really Topps? For years now we haven't been able to get a Biggio or Bagwell relic even though there are numerous retired Yankees, Red Sox and Mets (and plenty other "major market teams") getting all kinds of cards made, and some of these with resumes dramatically less than either of the Astros legends. Biggio gets teased in Series One for autos and relics yet since it's been out I've seen exactly ONE redemption card pulled or put on eBay for any Biggio relic or auto (and it was #'ed /10) Congrats to you lucky 10 who end up with one, because I certainly won't have the luck to pull it. Ridiculous Topps, stop the travi-sham-ockary and just rename your company NYTopps or something.

But for real, if you want to trade off any Spring Fever cards please let me know, I'd love to complete this set...

9 comments:

  1. Agreed, 1000%.

    I rarely even see 'Stros base cards, which is why piecing that trade of ours together was so difficult.

    But, it gets better. This is what it was like collecting Blue Jays from 2009-2012. Now we have good players again. The Astros will too.

    But Topps will still suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to get that Musial (the only Cardinal in "Spring Fever"), I don't have any Spring Fever cards though. Maybe we can work something out?

    Topps tweeted a picture of the Pena auto, and they asked "Who says we don't show any Astros love?" I pointed out that "one auto in a 'redemption' set is more of 'acknowledgement' than 'love'."
    I have to say I've been disappointed overall with Spring Fever, and Turkey Red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that's a dupe of Adrian Gonzalez, I'd like to try to swing a trade with ya. It'd have to be in exchange for something other than spring fever cards because my only LCS is a joke and doesn't participate in things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topps and ESPN should merge together. East Coast Bi-as! Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.

    Man, am I ready for some live baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's the first card with Pena in an Astros uniform?

    Topps is proud of itself when it releases a card like that. The Hamilton card is probably part of the set for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to visiting that same LCS on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, on the one hand, I can't blame Topps for giving the Astros the short end of the stick on current players - this year - when it looks like they stand a very good chance of having the worst single season W-L record in MLB since the 19th century.

    That being said, there's no excuse for keeping past Astros greats out of their pool of retired hits/inserts/etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh crap, that reminds me that I need to go and redeem the one card I have this week!

    ReplyDelete