Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Product Review: 2011 Topps Finest


So yes, I'm a bit behind the times, but I had some more extra cash this weekend and figured "why not". I hadn't bought any Topps Finest other than a couple of group breaks for the few Astros in the set. So I got a "mini box" from my LCS which contained 6 packs at 5 cards per pack, and boasted that you'd either find a On-Card Rookie Autograph or a Dual Relic Autographed Rookie Card.

First of all, I'll say that these cards are warped just as badly as 2010 Topps Chrome. Why Topps, WHY?!?! How is it that you can't figure out how to produce FLAT CARDS?!?!?!?!? Seriously, I don't think this is an unrealistic expectation.

Ok, small rant is over... but I'll go ahead and start with the base cards (I literally had to push down on the scanner to flatten the cards to get them to scan... boo...). Here are all the base cards I pulled in numerical order:
One duplicate: Hanley and a bunch of RC's of guys who are decent guys that I've actually heard of.

And here are the inserts and the hit:
Ichiro hot mini-box! The insert is pretty sweet looking and the green parallel works great with the Mariner's color scheme as well. I'm really hoping Rizzo shows up big time for the Cubs this year as he's been bouncing around in trades the last year. He has a nice clean auto and being on-card is great. The only "keeper" out of these cards is the Pence for me, so if you're putting the set together or see base cards you want, feel free to offer up a deal!

Overall, I really like the feel and quality of the cards, I just wish they were flat... I don't think this is a set I'd go after, just because it seems it would be a hefty investment to get the full base set and would take a lot of luck not to get a bunch of duplicates. But definitely worth hitting a mini-box now and then to see if you can get lucky with an auto or refractor!

Overall, I'd say a 7 out of 10 for this set. (I know, my rating scales lack consistency).

Stay tuned tomorrow as I have a huge rant planned for my least favorite card "manufacturer". They did something truly over-the-top horrible and stupid over the weekend and just goes to prove I should have never involved myself with them to begin with...


No comments:

Post a Comment