Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Group Break Loot

I got in cheap on a group break of Prime Cuts, the Astros slots are kind of a double edge sword as they are cheap but they are cheap because there isn't a massive checklist depth to their slot. But, I did really well on this one:
With Roger only playing 2 seasons with the Astros, it's fun to pick up a card with him in the red brick Astros jersey. And I do believe this is a swatch from his playing days as an Astro as well, with the black pin stripe being the main jersey during his time with us. Those two years were amazing, and I still feel Roger is a HOF'er despite all the rumors, accusations and trials. Much like Bonds, even if he did do something, he didn't HAVE to... he was already one of the most dominant in the game. That whole era is crazy looking back on it now.

Well isn't this a thing of beauty?
I never thought I'd say this, but I'll take this triple relic auto over a Triple Threads BLING-BLING-super-shiny-over-priced-foilboard-super-mojo boring redundant card. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of Triple Threads Biggio (and others) that I treasure, but this is a much better design, concept and execution. There's actually a theme to these cards. The back text actually says something worthwhile instead of "You have received a Triple Auto Relic Mojo Hit From Topps Triple Threads". Yes, you dingbats, I know what I just pulled, I don't need a reminder of it on the back of the card for all eternity. Tell me something about the player or give me stats, like on this card, I learn that Biggio joined Tris Speaker, Paul Molitor and Ty Cobb as the only players to tally 3,000 hits, 600 doubles and 400 stolen bases. Did I already know that Biggio hit that milestone? Of course I did. Did I know he was one of only 4 players ever to do it and who those players were? Nope. Great job Panini.

With that rant complete, I'm off to work!

6 comments:

  1. As the old adage goes, "less is more." You did quite well here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Panini products a little more and Topps products a little less every year. The Biggio is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prime Cuts looks real nice this year. I picked up a base relic/auto and I really liked the design

    ReplyDelete