Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

2010 Topps Update Box Break

I should have titled this: Let the Strasburg Pimping Continue... but that was expected right? You don't sign an exclusivity deal and then not throw in a bunch of his cards right? Well, here we go. The box has 36 packs, at 10 cards per pack, and a 1 card Rookie Refractor as well. There is a guarantee of 1 auto or relic. The same basic insert sets are there from the original Series 1 and 2. There are 330 or 331 cards in the set, depending on where you consider the Strasburg #661 card lands. According to the checklist cards in the set, it's part of the update... First, here's the refractor card that I got:
Not too bad, it's not Strasburg but I'll take it. The kid is playing his part in the Rangers' quest for the WS. Alright, next is a random selection of inserts, including my first black border parallel which is numbered 48/59. Definitely like the inclusion of the Nolan Ryan cards and the Babe always looks great on a baseball card.
Alright, I mentions Strasburg pimpage... well, there's 3 cards in the base update, and then a 4th card I got as part of the inserts... it seems most of the big rookies have a base RC and then a "debut card", Strasburg is also included on a checklist card and then there's the "More Tales from the Game" Rookie Tsunami card.
So overall, I got a very considerable portion of the entire update set. I'd approximate that I'm about 30-40 cards short (I'll post a want list once I think more people have them available for trade), and only had 12 duplicates of base cards total. I ended up with 4 Turkey Red inserts, however I got duplicates of 3 of them (so I should have gotten 7 total, great job on the collation there Topps)... Oh wait, at this point, I bet you're wondering "Hmm... The Dimwit hasn't posted his auto or relic, I wonder what it is? Is it so fantabulous that he saved it for the very end???" OF COURSE I did... here you go everyone, my "relic"...
That's right, more Stasburg mania... this beauty is numbered 116/500. The odds of pulling a RC Patch card are 1:1125 packs or thereabouts, so pulling one of the 500 Strasburgs is a nice hit I guess. What should I do, hold on to it, or sell it on ebay? Hmmm... let me know what you think!

10 comments:

  1. Sell it on ebay quickly before Topp$ begins Harper-mania and everyone forgets about Strasberger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd sell that in a heartbeat.

    But I would delicately pack up the Moreland and send it to Play at the Plate. He would probably send you something for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Mr. Play at the Plate... do you hear that? It's the theme song to "Let's Make A Deal!"... haha... email me, I have no desire to hold onto the Moreland Chrome... let me know what you have in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look through my Astros and see if I can find something to make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Play at the Plate... shoot me an e-mail with you mailing address... I have a package ready to go out to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sold the Strasburg on ebay today... for $35... that brings my 2010 Strasburg sales up to $735... thank you Topps for the over-hype, it led to a great profit for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good call. I remember guys like Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor too well to know tat you sell the hot rookies right away, then after the heat dies down, buy them for (most likely) a lot less than you sold them for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the sales. If I pull one of him I'm keeping it. But I keep almost everything I pull.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea, Matt I agree with you... there have been some major bust prospects in the past. I'd rather take my money now. One in the hand is better than two in the bush, right? I'm not too confident he'll come back from Tommy John without complications or at the same level. Anyways, for the hobby I hope he does come back strong and is the next Clemens (sans 'roids) or Randy Johnson.

    ReplyDelete